On Tuesday a friend of mine will have her first book published, a collection of poetry. Now as a rule I'm not a fan of poetry. In fact I'd go so far as to say I hate the entire genre in general, but over the years there have been a few authors or pieces I've managed to come away appreciating. (Plus, if you count Shakespeare as poetry, that dude was pretty on the ball.) Unfortunately this is not the case with my friend. I've tried my damnedest to enjoy her work on any and every level, and the most I can come away with is that it's usually well spaced and all the punctuation is correct. I'm sure it's my natural aversion to anything that rhymes but lacks a beat for me to dance to, on the other hand I'd be curious to hear what someone who knows their iambic pentameter from their sonnets has to say about it.
Anyway, she's giving a reading at a local bookstore and has asked all her friends to attend. I am proud of what she's accomplished-- getting published is a big deal-- and I do want to be there as her friend. But not only is this going to be a lengthy reading, without going into detail it's also centered around a subject I'd just as soon not dwell on. So the question I face now is, do I go, sit through what could well be a very uncomfortable time for me, then stand up and clap and hug her and tell her what a great job she's done? Do I, in short, smile and nod?
Yeah, probably. Fuck I hate having a conscience.
No comments:
Post a Comment