I've had a lot of free time lately. Wait. Let me clarify: I've had a lot of time lately that I should have been using to look for a new job and better my current lot in life, but have instead spent being lazy and depressed and goofing off. Anyway, one of the big things I've done with this time is catch up on some TV shows I missed out on; in particular, 'Dexter' and 'Battlestar Galactica.' My best friend had been bugging me about 'Dexter' for awhile; add in all the hoopla surrounding this being the last season for 'BSG' and the final five Cylons and truth be told, morbid curiosity since I thought the original was so lame, I finally gave in and decided to watch them both.
Holy crap. I honestly wish I could go back in time and kick myself in the balls for not having watched these when they originally aired. The excruciating pain would be worth it. I'm especially impressed with 'Galactica'-- never in a million years would I have suspected that Sci-Fi, the same network whose schedule is comprised of films cheesier than a Wisconsin dairy farm, could turn out something of such quality. Ronald D. Moore, the showrunner on 'BSG' has crafted this universe that's space opera, war epic, political drama, religious parable, all these separate elements coming together and not only does it all work, it even makes me forgive the sometimes overabundant use of a fake swear word ("frak," as in "Go frak yourself, motherfrakker"). As for 'Dexter,' along with the guilty pleasure I derive from 'Big Brother After Dark' (though sadly not as much now that my favorite houseguest is gone) it's the only real reason I can justify paying for Showtime. Truth be told it edges out 'Galactica' in both writing and acting-- especially acting; Michael C. Hall should have a pair of Emmys sitting on the mantle at home-- but as a lifelong nerd I'm a sucker for science fiction so 'BSG' gets the nod.
Which brings us to today. I've gone through both seasons of 'Dexter' and as of this afternoon I'm all caught on 'BSG' (poor Cally!). So...now what? 'Arrested Development,' 'The Wire,' 'The Shield,' 'The West Wing,' '24,' 'LOST,' still haven't seen seasons five through seven of 'Buffy,' 'Firefly,' 'Freaks and Geeks'-- the list goes on. So many shows I never gave a chance the first time around and I've no idea where to start. It's almost enough to give me a frakking headache.
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment